"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." -- A. Schwindt

"We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open."
Harry Edwards

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
Elizabeth Stone

"The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him."
Pablo Casals

"God created boys full of spirit and fun. To explore and conquer, to romp and run."

Friday, March 13, 2009

Update on our LITTLE guy...

It's been an insanely busy day...

We had our ultrasound this morning and we got the news we pretty much expected: he's okay, but just really small for his gestational age. Fluid levels are fine, there's no calcification of the placenta, his respiration/lungs are fine, and no immediate indicators of IUGR. I was expecting them to say he's small, but I have to say that I was surprised at how small they actually said he was. I'm exactly 36 weeks today and he's measuring at approximately 5 pounds and 6 ounces currently. That means that he's in the 15th percentile for his GA. They said because he's so small that they want to do additional monitoring until he's born just to keep track. They couldn't say what GA he was measuring at, but based off of the measurements I did happen to catch, I'd say he's measuring about 3 weeks behind at 33 weeks. We were told to expect a 6.5-7 pound baby! They told us it would be wise to buy preemie clothes! I think I'm still in shock because I'm so used to Jayden, who was 8.5 pounds and 20 inches at birth and who is STILL a big kid (99th percentile), that I don't know what to do and what to expect with such a tiny baby. I'm really relieved that he's healthy and happy and there's no physical indication he's in any stress whatsoever, but I'm just shocked that I will be leaving with this tiny little boy! They said they'd be happy if I could get him to gain another pound before delivery.

So, my orders are to indulge myself. If I want a milkshake, chocolate, anything fatty... don't hesitate. I can pig out if I want. I've only gained 19 pounds to date despite my affinity for carbs and chocolate this pregnancy. They said I should try to get more protein to fatten him up as well. Also, instead of going to weekly appointments as I was supposed to, I will now be there twice a week. I go in for 2 non-stress tests a week, as well as an ultrasound/bio-physical profile and doctor's appointment once a week.

They have said that if I go into labor on my own at this point that they will not do anything to stop it, so we are officially on "baby watch" as he can come at any time. If for some reason things do change with Jaxson's progress and they feel he would be better cared for on the outside, then there is the possibility of being induced, however they've made it clear that they do not see a need to induce before 39 weeks and they'd rather stay out of it and let me go on my own as long as it's a feasible option for the baby. They will be doing cervical checks to see my dilation and effacement on a weekly basis as well.

So, you will be seeing more updates from me on little Jaxson...and who knows, maybe a birth announcement will be closer than we think. They didn't say that he will be early, however I should anticipate that it's likely he'll come before my due date. All in all...it wasn't bad news per se, as he's doing exceptionally well despite his small stature, but they just want to take proper precautions because of his smaller size.

Grow baby....grow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment