"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." -- A. Schwindt

"We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open."
Harry Edwards

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
Elizabeth Stone

"The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him."
Pablo Casals

"God created boys full of spirit and fun. To explore and conquer, to romp and run."

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Randomness on my mind...

Today is just a weird day to say the least... I'm still preggo, still trucking along and anxiously awaiting my appointment tomorrow morning. 38 weeks!! 2 or less (hoping less) to go. I've been having increased Braxton Hicks, which I've been hoping would turn into more conducive contractions...even if it is just FALSE labor. That would be a step up from the wimpy, yet annoying "fake" contractions I've been having. I'm in better spirits about my pregnancy today and even though I'm still at that "miserable" point, I'm doing alright in that department. I've decided that I may ask my OB to strip my membranes tomorrow (I was going to wait until next week) if my cervix is still favorable and she thinks that it's an alright idea. It's not guaranteed to send me into labor (and I'm okay with it if it doesn't), but at least it might help my body progress at a quicker rate. I'm ready to get this ball rolling, KWIM? I'm all about a natural birth with little to no interventions, but one thing I've learned is that I'm not averse to "spurring the horse" if you get my drift. Let's get the show on the road, people!! :) So, expect an update tomorrow after my appointment. :)

Oh, and this is sort of funny/random, but I've been joking that I'm now officially "handicapped". No, I don't believe pregnancy is a handicap, but to understand this I'll have to tell you my story... So, Tuesday I had a NST at the doctor's office and I didn't get to work until about 9:30. Keep in mind I work for a HUGE company and you'd think they have ample parking for their associates, but they don't. I haven't had to park offsite since I was a contractor almost 3 years ago and those offsite places have changed since then so I had no clue where to go. After circling through the entire parking lot numerous times for over a half hour, I finally asked the security guard where to park. He said to try Building 5. Ok, well the main campus consists of Buildings 1-4 spreading out over a good 4 block radius...at least. And then building 5 is separate from the campus on the top of the hill on the other side of the campus where I work (I'm in Building 4 and Building 5 is on the top of the hill 4 blocks away behind Building 1). So, I had to hike from my car (downhill luckily) to work. Then at the end of the day it started pouring rain and I needed to walk to my car. I wasn't expecting such an ordeal so I didn't wear the appropriate shoes for the walk AND the weather. Needless to say I ended up walking 10 minutes across campus and virtually completely uphill with flat shoes on that were completely soaked by the rain (as was the rest of me) by the time I made it to my car. I WAS DYING! Ok, not literally, but if I ever wanted to find a good way to make myself horribly uncomfortable to the point where going through labor was a good trade-off...this was it. So, the security people said I could get a "close proximity" parking pass so I don't have to hike to my car on the days I have appointments. So, now I have a shiny parking pass complete with the little handicap figure to display in my car. Yay for me... and yay for no more uphill hiking at 9 months pregnant. :)

For the "sad" news... we gave up one of our cats for adoption today. In my heart of hearts, I know it "had" to be done, but I still can't help but feel guilty. We've had her for a couple years and she can be really sweet, but a little devil too. She originally belonged to Aaron's friend who unfortunately passed away from colon cancer in August 2007 at the age of 28. For sentimental reasons, Aaron didn't want to get rid of her as he felt he'd made a promise to his friend to care for her and it was the one piece of his friend he still had around. But 3 cats with a baby and another little one on the way has caused us a lot of stress since she's having a hard time getting along with the other cats and she takes her aggression out by urinating on our son's toys and our personal belongings. We've talked to vets about it and tried their suggestions, but to no avail. For the last 2 years it's just been a struggle. Aaron said that she was really scared when he took her to the shelter (which luckily is a no-kill shelter so at least we know she is "safe") and I can't help but feel so horrible...and I wasn't even the one "doing the deed" so to speak. After a while she calmed down and they took her away. I am a huge pet lover and I always break down into tears, pregnant or not, when I see those ASPCA commercials on TV. I'm very compassionate towards animals, so it's hard for me to see her go. It's like giving a child up for adoption...you make a commitment to this pet, and for the longest time I've felt like despite her issues I had an "obligation" to take care of her. After a while I realized that she really does deserve better than the home we have given her and I hope that PAWS is able to place her in another loving home and one that better suits her attitude and personality. I hope that she is not too scared and that she adapts well to her new surroundings...I cannot imagine how she feels right now not knowing where she is, who those people are, and why she was taken from pretty much the only home she's ever known and the "family" (2-legged and 4-legged alike) that she's been around in her 3 short years of life. Not to mention, I feel bad for the other 2 cats we have at home who, no doubt, are confused as to why their "sister" won't ever return.

So, if you could please pray with me and FOR me, I'd be appreciative. Please pray that Penelo's transition will be smooth, that she will be adopted and loved and that her fear will subside soon. I hope she knows that she truly is in a safe place and will be well cared for. Also, pray that the transition for our other furry friends at home will go as well as can be expected. I know that they realize things are different already. And also, please pray for Aaron and I that we will have some peace from this. I know both of us are feeling horribly guilty even though we truly feel that this decision was in the best interest of our cat and our family.

We still are trying to find a loving home for our other feline friend, Laila. She also has some behavioral issues with peeing, but is a very sweet cat. Unfortunately, I think she was abused in a previous home before ours and has been "lashing out" as a result ever since. She's very shy and skittish at first and it has taken her a very long time to completely warm up to us, so I worry about her being put in a new environment again. I just hope that they (whoever "they" turn out to be) are as understanding and patient with her temperament as Aaron and I have been. Luckily, Aaron was approached by a different no-kill shelter who is interested although they don't have an opening quite yet. They are anticipating one soon so hopefully they will contact Aaron again once they do have an opening within the next few weeks. We've sent them pictures and an introduction to our kitty so I hope they love her as much as we have. Please keep her in your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment