"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." -- A. Schwindt

"We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open."
Harry Edwards

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
Elizabeth Stone

"The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him."
Pablo Casals

"God created boys full of spirit and fun. To explore and conquer, to romp and run."

Monday, March 23, 2009

Baby Showers and "Terrible Twos"!

Ok, so I don't have any pictures yet because my dear hubby took control of the computer last night to play some games with his friends and I was too tired to put up a fight after a long day (and I mean LOOOOONG!!!) so I'll have to upload them tonight if the opportunity presents itself. However, I can at least tell you about my baby shower yesterday.

It started off with a jam-packed day. We got home from church around 11 and my party was at 1. Jayden has been sick the past few days with what we thought was just some viral crap going around. Heh... Well, of all days for him to petition against nap-time and scream in hysterics to the point of almost-hyperventilation, of course it was yesterday. Karma, right? So, I was grumpy as all heck because of Jayden's very verbal protests and the fact that I had been so darn busy that I realized I had not yet eaten anything and was covered in toddler snot and pee. I finally told Aaron to take him and that I'd get ready for my party as I was on the verge of tears and discovering even more gray hairs to pluck out of my head.

So, we finally were ready and Jayden had calmed down from his hysterics. We made the decision to bring him to the party hoping that we could finally get him to eat something since he's been so uninterested in eating anything we have at home and that the commotion of the party would poop him out. He did eat pizza and, although he was asleep when I got home from the party (Aaron left early with Jayden), I was told that he again flung himself into hysterical protest mode before dozing off.

Anywho, back at the party we had a great time. Got a huge Costco cake (thank goodness for leftovers...I'll be indulging my desires at home!) with a stork on it and some baby booties. Tons of pizza (I had 4 slices) and LOTS of awesome and generous family and friends to gather around for a special time for Jax and I. We played a few games. One was a "Complete the Nursery Rhyme" game and there was a 3 way tie. We also played the "Baby" game...you know, the one where you can't say "baby" or you get your pin taken away?? Well, it was slightly altered. We all had bracelets with little pacifiers attached and if you said the word "cute" (which many people did---myself included), you lost your bracelet. Also throughout the shower, these little pages of paper were passed around for people to write and draw on that were compiled into a "wish book" for Jaxson (so very lovingly made by my stepmom, Lisa). The green book has Jax's name on the front and then on the inside were these pages from all of our family and friends with the heading, "My wish for you is..." and what they wished for Jaxson. Very cute!

The last game was by far the funniest in my opinion and everyone had a great time with it. Everyone was given some Play-Doh to work with and they had to sculpt what they thought Jax would look like from the Play-Doh. And, as Jaxson's mommy, I was of course the judge. My mom thought it would be hilarious to sculpt just male genitalia since the running joke is that it's the part of Jax that he feels like sharing the most... I seriously have more penis pictures than I can shake a stick at. Good to know my little boy has modesty...ha! Then a lot of them had long legs, and my sister made a really cute one of just his head, but she put amazing detail into it. I had it narrowed down to three, but couldn't decide so I went with the "Eeny Meeny Miny Mo" approach and just picked one. It was my aunt and niece's collaboration of Jaxson as a baseball player complete with cap, bat, and baseball that ended up winning.

After games I opened gifts and I was amazed at the generosity of everyone there. I honestly was just expecting tons of diapers and wipes which I was completely happy with! But, on top of the diapers and wipes we got (which are probably enough to last us for at least the first few months), we also received plenty of bath stuff, blankets, newborn outfits, stuffed animals, a Boppy cover, wrist and foot rattles, picture frames, a cute plaque to hang in the nursery that says "Always Kiss Me Goodnight", scrapbook pages (I'm an avid scrapbooker), and a cool framed scrapbook page that I can put pictures of Jaxson on from my dad and stepmom. I also got a really nice handmade, knitted newborn cap and booties from Aaron's cousin, Noelle, that matches Jaxson's coming home outfit. She made it from the softest alpaca wool and I'm so excited to see Jax in them!

It truly was a great day of celebration for me and our newest baby boy and I feel so blessed to have such kind and thoughtful family and friends.

Also, speaking of Jayden, my other baby boy... Aaron took him to the doctor today because he's been sick and it turns out the poor kid has PINK EYE! Grrr.... and because it's the viral kind and not the bacterial kind, he has to wait it out and let it clear on it's own. No antibiotic eye drops!! So, now we will be washing our hands diligently so we don't get it. And he can't go back to daycare until it's cleared up so luckily my mother in law has come over to help so Aaron can at least get some work done on his job search. Also, while they were at the doctor, it was noticed how "advanced" Jayden is for his age. The doctor said that our lovely little boy has most DEFINITELY entered the "Terrible Twos"...at 15 months old. Great. And it's going to get WORSE when the baby gets here. Even better. So, that explains his hysterics, protests, and temper tantrums where he violently slaps at us, throws anything in sight, and then proceeds to cry and run away from us. Oh, and my other favorite...if you try to pick him up when he doesn't want you to, he turns as loose as a spaghetti noodle and drags himself on the floor. Can't wait for the sibling jealousy to set in!!! So, now we have been prompted to try the approach of ignoring his little fits and letting him cry it out until he stops. And it looks like "time outs" will be starting here too.

Ah, welcome to Toddlerland!! Oh the joys! (note the sarcasm)

It doesn't make me love him any less (he truly is a wonderful, sweet little boy), but I'm definitely going to have my hands full. Good thing I still have a bottle of wine at home...once I'm not incubating other human beings anymore, I will definitely need something at the end of the day. A good foot massage would go nicely with a glass of Zinfandel I think... :)

Well, it's off to lunch I go. I'll share pictures tomorrow with any luck!!

1 comment:

  1. I am laughing out loud right now... NOT at you, but in agreeance! Logan throws the SAME fits, and is doing the SAME things!!! (Throwing everything, smacking me, he says "NO" more clearly than any other word...oh, and my favorite is the wet noodle flapping in our arms when he doesn't want to do something-also!!!) And he's only 4 months older than Jayden....

    So I really do feel your pain-I ignore his tantrums completely! Even if I'm "that mom with the screeching toddler" at Target, or wherever.... I pretned it doesn't bother (or embarrass the heck out of me!) me...

    I am definitely worried what will happen when our new addition is here, also....I wish us BOTH luck!!!

    ReplyDelete