"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." -- A. Schwindt

"We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open."
Harry Edwards

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
Elizabeth Stone

"The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him."
Pablo Casals

"God created boys full of spirit and fun. To explore and conquer, to romp and run."

Monday, February 8, 2010

Weekend Wind-Up

I just wanted to pop in and update about our fun-filled, crazy weekend! Saturday morning we had a family date at the dentist's office. I made an appointment for Jayden and I to get our teeth cleaned now that Jayden finally has all of his baby teeth. Aaron needed to get his teeth cleaned and luckily they had a cancellation that morning so they fit him in as well (he's got 8 cavities...I still hold the record since I had 12 after having Jayden). Then the doctor also asked us to take Jax in to have his teeth looked at since he's been having this weird issue with plaque where half of his top teeth get really yellow. I thought at first it was some decay issue but they said he looks just fine. Phew! The dentist's office was crazy. We were there for three hours total and Jayden didn't end up getting his teeth cleaned because he was too scared and didn't want to sit down. Instead, he wanted to throw tantrums and run up and down the hallway until the receptionist came to the rescue and put "Cars" on the lobby's big screen. :) He did get a kick out of the hygenist squirting water in his mouth and letting him test out the suction straw aka "Mr Thirsty". Jayden called it the "little vacuum".

I'm hoping that he will be more prepared in 6 months. We go back as a family on August 7th for our cleanings so maybe we can make it more fun next time. I also got 2 Starbucks gift cards for referring Aaron and Jayden. :) Not that I drink coffee anymore since they took away decaf Caramel Frappucinos. :(

After that we went over to Tommy and Samantha's house for Brayden's 2nd birthday party. I ate way too much pizza and cake and totally screwed up my diet for this week, so I'm glad that it's Monday and I'm back on the bandwagon. Weekends derail me like crazy when there's birthdays and Super Bowl involved. I have to suffer through one more weekend of birthdays this weekend (my niece, McKenna, turns 11 today and my dad's birthday is on Saturday) and then Valentine's Day... hopefully I will be good after that and temptation will be gone. The party was good and we got to see lots of family. Aaron's sister, Jen, came down with her kids and our nieces and nephew decided to spend the night on this side of the water (they live in Bremerton) after the party. Our nieces, 13 year old Megan and 11 year old Morgan, stayed with Tommy and Samantha, while our 14 year old nephew, Devan, stayed with us. Still seems crazy to Aaron and I that we have nieces and nephews that old. I guess that's what happens when your husband is the baby of 7 kids and has siblings in their 30's and 40's. I think we even have a niece that is 16.... Anyway, side tangent.

So on Sunday we went to church. I have to admit it's been over a month since we'd gone. I wanted to go, but I hate going by myself with the kids because it's just crazy. I like to be in fellowship with my husband and not by myself. Lame excuse, I know. I have zero willpower and no spine. It's something I need to work on. After the brotherly bust-up with Tommy and Aaron in December, Aaron really didn't want to go because he didn't want to deal with the awkwardness of a run-in. I'm glad that's in the past so that we are able to worship again and it's not like dragging a screaming two year old to church. At least, not with our two year old. They were talking about relationships this week and I have to say that the messages always turn out being exactly what I need to hear when I need to hear it. Not to mention that it was hilarious seeing Pastor Ryan's best "Single Ladies" Beyonce dancing impression while singing, "If you like it, then you shoulda put a ring on it!". Seriously, our pastor is the awesomest (Is that a word? Well, it is now...) pastor ever! He and I have the same sense of humor so I find everything he says funny and relatable. If you are in the Seattle area and are looking for a church, I urge you to check out our home church, EastLake Community Church (view their website here). It has a younger, hip vibe, a little less traditional (we don't sit there with open bibles singing hymns)... it's very raw, real, personal, and inviting. EastLake has an "open arms" policy and we welcome people from all walks of life. All imperfections are welcome... it's the most open-minded church I've ever been to. Jesus was definitely calling to my heart when we found ECC and I'm very glad we are members of the greatest church ever. We brought our nieces and nephew with us to service and Megan and Devan both said they would literally take the ferry over every weekend just to come to church with us. :)

After church, we had to drop the kids off at the ferry so they could go back home and we retired to our house for the Super Bowl. Football is huge in our house...at least for my husband. I get sick of it after the first like 2-3 months. I have to say that I was happy that the Saints made it to the Super Bowl, though, because I felt like they were the "underdogs" (no offense to the Colts, of course as I think Peyton Manning is awesome) and I always vote for the underdogs. Needless to say, I was pleased that they won. I had placed a bet (not really, I don't gamble) that they would win...Tommy and Aaron ate their words since they guessed the Colts would win...muahahahaha! We finished off the weekend with the kids asleep and by the hubs and I curling up on the couch to watch I Am Legend. Good movie...creepy, but good.

Tonight, I'm ready to draw myself a bath and watch "The Bachelor". I can't believe Vienna is still there. :( Reality Steve says she's the winner, but I'm holding out hope for Tenley. I think she's stinkin adorable!!

Oh, and my weight update for this week: Ha, actually there's not really any update as I didn't lose anything this week. With all the pizza I ate I should be grateful I didn't gain anything (Pizza Hut is the enemy!). Better luck this upcoming Sunday! I also have to admit that I already abandoned the monthly challenge. I think I bit off more than I can chew just because I'm busy and I'm already doing a lot. I walk every day at work in addition to Zumba twice a week. That means I'm getting in almost 5 hours of cardio a week. I think I would like to try to lessen it to one set of 100 of one exercise a day versus three. With working full time and taking care of business and kids at home, I don't have much time to squeeze everything in. I wish I did but there's not enough time in the day. :(

Anyway, happy Monday! Hope it's a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment