"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." -- A. Schwindt

"We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open."
Harry Edwards

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
Elizabeth Stone

"The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him."
Pablo Casals

"God created boys full of spirit and fun. To explore and conquer, to romp and run."

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Evil In This World...

I'm a member of BabyCenter and am active on the birth boards for both of my boys. I came across a posting on the April 2009 board this morning that just tore me down. I feel so heartbroken for this family and I cannot imagine how anyone could ever fathom doing such a thing. I hate talking about such horrible and horrific things, but this is one I cannot escape from. As heart-wrenching as it is, it also serves as a blatant reminder that we need to love constantly, not take anything for granted, and make changes to laws and our horribly faulty judicial system in order to prevent tragedies like this in the future.

Short version of the long story: There is a girl named Katie (amishpug8586 on BBC) and her April 2009 baby is Wyatt. There was a long history of physical abuse in her relationship with the baby's father, and they broke up in August. This "man" has serious mental issues and was completely unstable. After she left him and he found out months later that she had a new boyfriend, he became completely obsessed with Katie and started making threats to kill their son and himself. Katie tried multiple times to get restraining orders to protect her and Wyatt, and three separate judges told her there was no grounds for a restraining order, called Katie a liar, and basically laughed her out of court...even though she had written proof of his threats! Earlier this month, one judge went back on his original ruling and granted her an emergency restraining order which was overthrown by a different judge two days later. On his last court appointed visit with Wyatt, he sent texts and made calls to Katie trying to force her to come back to him or he'd kill Wyatt and himself. Law enforcement did not get to them in time, and sadly, the baby's father shot baby Wyatt and then killed himself on Sunday morning.

For more direct information on the developing story, please see these links if you feel led to do so: BabyCenter thread, the father's last letter, and other news stories ( #1, #2, and #3 ).

I cannot imagine the grief, anger, anguish, and more that Katie is feeling right now. I broke down crying at my desk when I read this, not to mention how angry I am. How could someone do such a thing and be so selfish and delusional? Why is our judicial system so faulty? The signs were there and this poor mother was reaching out for help and they refused and rebuked her. Their oversights and shitty judgment just cost this child his life!! A mother lost her child, who she so desperately tried to protect, and the courts just crapped all over her. Something needs to change!! And it shouldn't take an innocent life being lost to spur that change. This is what they are supposed to be preventing!!! I pray to God that they are able to find some legal recourse against the judges and law enforcement that sat back and did absolutely nothing for this young mother and her child.

Reading this has also made me grateful. Grateful that I have a loving and wonderful husband who is an amazing father. He would never hurt me or our children. I'm grateful that my kids are safe and loved. However, my heart also breaks for Katie, her older son Dakota, and the rest of her family. As a mother, I know now just how much it would devastate me to lose one of my children. It's something I cannot even bear the thought of. This tragedy puts into perspective the things I often lose sight of in the day to day. Yes, maybe my kids drive me crazy when they throw their food on the floor, have a tantrum, won't go to sleep at night, or cry and scream when they want something or don't get their way. I know there's times where they test my patience and I feel like I'm going insane and I want to just lock myself in a room away from the chaos. But you know what? I wouldn't trade a minute of it. Because I'm lucky that my children are happy and healthy...and alive. They are still here with me, and for that I am most grateful of all. I would gladly take every minute of the chaos just to be reassured that my children are alive and safe and that they are mine.

Please join me in prayer for Katie and Wyatt if you feel led:

Dear Jesus, please lift up Katie and her family in prayer for the senseless and unimaginable loss of baby Wyatt. Although I may not understand the evil in this world, I know you are good and that you will help guide this family through their tragedy. May you help them to grieve, but also help to heal some of their pain. I pray that they can feel your presence. Please protect their hearts, Lord, and give them as much solace and strength as you can provide. Please help Katie to realize that this isn't her fault and help lift the burden of any guilt she may feel.

I also pray, Lord, that the law enforcement and judicial officials can learn from the errors of their ways and use this tragedy as a way to make change to the system. Help them to stand up for what is right, God, and maybe better provisions can be made for families in need and to protect all of Your children. May we all help to keep them safe.

Lord, although I know you already have, please keep baby Wyatt safe with you. Although his time on this side of Heaven was cut way too short, in some way I hope peace can be found with knowing that he is healed with You. He no longer must endure the evils of this world. May his mother, Katie, find some peace in knowing that her sweet baby boy is eternally held safe in the arms of the Ultimate Protector. I know you have welcomed him home with open arms and he has been saved. I thank you for keeping him protected outside of this earthly world.

Lastly, may you please speak to all the hearts of every parent. May they love their children and hold their children even more today than yesterday. Please help them to be grateful and cherish their family on this side of Heaven while they are here. Life is short already, and can be cut even shorter. Every day must be lived to the fullest, and no breath should go unbreathed.

I pray all of this in Your Holy Name. Amen.

I know that I cannot wait to go home and hug my children, kiss their sweet little foreheads, and thank God for keeping them safe here with me. I know that I love my children more than anything in this earthly world, and this makes me cherish and love them even more. I don't ever want to take a moment with them for granted. They are my everything. I also cannot wait to hold my husband and thank him for being such a wonderful and loving father and husband. I know that I don't tell him that I love him and that I appreciate him as much as I do. I'm so thankful that he knows the right and wrong, that he follows the Lord, and that he would never even think of harming anyone for his own selfish desires. I give him so much crap about petty things like his clothes being on the floor, or playing too many video games, or not helping me with the household chores...but all of that pales in comparison to the things that truly matter and he's always came through where it really counts. I hope that all of you who read this may do the same. Please love your husbands and children and thank God that you are lucky enough to have been spared from being in a situation like Katie. Life and time are too precious to waste.

In closing, I wanted to leave a poem and the lyrics from a song which I was reminded of while writing this entry. The first is my favorite poem and it always reminds me, when I'm sad or lonely, that I'm not alone...even if I think I am.

Footprints in the Sand
One night a man had a dream.
He dreamed that he was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand:
one belonging to him, and the other to the Lord.
When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand.
He noticed that many times along the path of his life that there was only one set of footprints.
He noticed that this happened amongst the lowest and saddest times of his life;
in times of sorrow and anguish.
As it bothered him, he questioned the Lord about it:
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints.
I don't undertand why when I needed you most you would leave me."
The Lord replied:
"My son, my precious child, I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."

Katie, may the Lord carry you through this time in your life and help you to find peace.

The last entry is the lyrics from a song of one of my favorite Christian artists, Plumb. Tiffany Arbuckle Lee, who is Plumb, has a way of capturing emotion so deep in her songs...so raw and real. It has spoken volumes to my heart as a mother and it always comforts me to hear this song knowing that my children are ultimately loved and protected by God, our Saviour.

Children of the Heavenly Father
by Plumb
Children of the Heav'nly Father
Safely in his bosom gather
Nestling bird nor star in Heaven
Such a refuge e'er was given
God, His own doth tend and nourish
In His holy courts they flourish
From all evil things He spares them
In His mighty arms he bears them
Neither life nor death shall ever
From the Lord, His children sever
Unto them His grace He showeth
And their sorrows all He knoweth
Though He giveth or He taketh
God His children ne'er forsaketh
His the loving purpose solely
To preserve them, pure and holy
Lo, their very hairs He numbers
And no daily care encumbers
Them that share His ev'ry blessing
And His help in woes distressing
Praise the Lord in joyful numbers
Your Protector never slumbers
At the will of your Defender
Ev'ry foeman must surrender
Children of the Heav'nly Father
Safely in His bosom gather
Nestling bird nor star in Heaven
Such a refuge e'er was given
Although it is angering and heartbreaking that baby Wyatt, or any child, would be taken from this earth before his time, I take some comfort in knowing that God will ultimately take him under His wing and protect him wholly for all eternity. Praise Jesus.
Rest in Peace, baby Wyatt. You are safely with God and the angels now.
Baby Wyatt Garcia
April 4, 2009 - January 31, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment