"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." -- A. Schwindt

"We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open."
Harry Edwards

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
Elizabeth Stone

"The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him."
Pablo Casals

"God created boys full of spirit and fun. To explore and conquer, to romp and run."

Monday, November 2, 2009

Tricks, Treats, and Frights!

We've had a busy weekend. Halloween was interesting to say the least. We were able to get Jayden to keep most of his costume on, which made me happy considering the fiasco with pictures a few weeks back. He didn't want to wear anything so I figured we'd have a repeat of that. In fact, he actually let us take some cute pictures of him in his costume which I will share soon (I just have to upload them from my camera...which usually takes ages with how busy I am). It was rainy so we didn't get to take him around outside to the neighborhoods, but we did go to Alderwood Mall where we met up with Aaron's brother, Tommy, and his wife Samantha. Their son, Brayden, dressed up as Elmo. Very cute!! Unfortunately, by the time we got there most of the candy was picked over and so most stores were out. It wasn't really a big deal as Jayden wasn't too excited about trick or treating anyway (although he did go up to a few people and say "Uh oh treat!") ...and we will probably end up eating most of his candy anyway. But he definitely knows what candy is since he kept saying it clear as day all the way to Denny's where we went for dinner. The kids got to eat for free and Jayden got a cool soccer cup which he was very excited about. :)

Then we decided to go back home as it was well after bedtime. I was very much ready to just relax the rest of the night, but it looks like that wasn't going to happen. Jayden has been fighting bedtime lately and he wanted me to rock him. I asked Aaron to watch the baby and get him to sleep too as he was tired and cranky and I went in to do my usual "rock and sing" routine to Jayden. Just a few minutes later I heard a sound like something fell off the table and hit the floor. Then I heard Jaxson crying. At first I didn't put the two together...I just figured something fell off the table and then Jaxson was mad because Aaron wasn't holding him. But I knew something was wrong when Aaron called out for me in a panicked voice. I quickly and gently put a half-asleep Jayden on the floor (which ended up scaring him and he woke up crying and screaming) to open the door to a crying Jaxson with a huge white and blue bump on his head. So, I naturally asked Aaron what happened and he told me that he tried to get Jax to sleep but he wouldn't go to bed so he got on the computer while holding Jax and he lunged out of Aaron's arms and smacked his head on the corner of the computer monitor.

At this point, I was so upset, angry, worried, panicked...you named it. I was shouting at Aaron because I'd had this conversation with him multiple times about how he gets distracted when he wants to do something for himself and doesn't pay adequate attention to the kids. Half the time I ask him to help with the kids, he gets frustrated because he has a different agenda (like he wants to play video games or get on the computer to look at video game stuff or football stuff) and he will just put Jaxson on the floor to cry so he can do what he wants instead of working on getting him to bed (which he usually leaves for me). Not saying that he doesn't help out, but he gets sidetracked because he's too impatient to put the kids as a priority at night when he wants to wind down and relax. And that leads to him not being as attentive and careful...which is why Jaxson hit his head.

Anyway, so I'm packing up the kids to go to the hospital, Aaron's on the phone calling 911 (which prompted some firemen to come to our house to check Jax out) and we are screaming at each other. The firemen said that Jax looked like he was responding well but with any head injury especially with a child so young, it would be best to take him to the ER just to make sure there's no internal damage to his head. So Aaron stayed home with Jayden and I took Jaxson to Stevens Hospital since it was the closest to home. The nurses and doctors checked him and said he looked okay as far as his responses but that he did take a pretty nasty fall and that his bump was relatively large...large enough for them to want to do a CT scan to make sure that there was no issues with his skull or bleeding on the brain. We had to wait a while for the scan, but Jaxson passed the scan just fine. He's going to have a big bump on his head for awhile and there will be quite a bit of bruising, but he will be okay.

So, not exactly how I wanted to spend my Halloween night, not to mention that ER visits and CT scans are expensive, but I guess that there's no price you can put on making sure your children are okay. And this has also been a lesson for Aaron (and myself as well) to be more patient and attentive. Aaron felt horrible about what happened and I know that I didn't make him feel any better about the situation so that is something I need to work on since I know it was an accident that could have just as easily happened in my care, but he also learned that the kids' needs should always come before his own (and his free time). He feels so horrible about the situation and has been giving Jaxson some extra lovin' which has been really cute to see. Jayden's been really attentive and careful too... he keeps saying, "Mama! Baby crying!" or "Mama! Baby owwie!".

So that was our weekend. Oh, and we might be moving at the end of this month. Aaron's friend, Pete, just moved back from CA and needs a place to stay so we've offered to let him stay with us, but we need a larger apartment. Aaron is looking into 3 bedroom apartments in the area and we might be signing a 6 month lease in a bigger, nicer place. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment