"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." -- A. Schwindt

"We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open."
Harry Edwards

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
Elizabeth Stone

"The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him."
Pablo Casals

"God created boys full of spirit and fun. To explore and conquer, to romp and run."

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My back is singing praises!

Ok, so I went to the chiropractor on Monday thinking that I was going to get an adjustment, and sadly they only did a consultation and told me what I already knew...I have sciatica. Apparently, it's being pinched in two places and it's fixable. He said it could be a lot worse, but given the fact that those shooting surges I get never even go past my knee that it's a good sign. People with major sciatica problems have the pain go all the way down into their toes. But, he also told me a couple other things about my back and body that I didn't already know, yet somehow I don't find them too surprising. One, my spine has a curve to it (I think he said that it's curving to the right) and also that my pelvis is slightly tilted or "off". So he basically has to try to realign me so I'm straight.

Per his request, I went back in yesterday for my adjustment since he wanted to consult with the other chiropractor as to the best course of action for me. So I had the adjustment done and it was fabulous! He tilted me to the sides and "cracked" my back in about 6 different places. He also pulled on my right leg to help elongate the bones and give them room to line up straighter since they were compressed. Also the joint from my femur to my pelvis was compressed, so he said by doing that pulling maneuver that the fluid would flow back into the socket and rehydrate the joint. Then he said he was going to do some "massage". Ok...not so much the massage I was thinking of. First tool didn't hurt too much, but it sounded like a massive human hole puncher. Then the second one sounded like a power sander...and felt about the same too. In some places it felt great, and in others it felt as if he was popping every blood vessel possible while ripping my skin off! He said it was to help the blood flow to my muscles. Oh well, it gave me the ability to practice my Hypno-breathing and try to relax myself. I'm going to have to get used to that if I plan on having a natural birth.

Anyway, afterwards I felt great! They put me on a "roller table" for massage afterwards and that was really relaxing. He wants to see me every 2 weeks for an adjustment and then on my off weeks I go back in for massage therapy. So, I'll be there every Thursday for either a one-hour massage (yes please!) or another adjustment. I hate the fact that I have to pay $25 every time I go, but if my back feels better and it helps me with labor and delivery then I'll gladly pay the price.

So, that's my big chiropractor update. Nothing else really to post except for maybe the fact that we get to see Jaxson again in 3 days!! I was having a lot of Braxton Hicks ("pressure waves") last night...maybe he liked the chiropractor?? He was a squirmy little worm too...hopefully he'll practice that on Saturday so we get good pictures.

Well, it's back to work for me... I have org charts, seating charts, and Excel spreadsheets shouting my name. Oh goody. What I really want is a nap... nothing like having your one year old not want to sleep from about 1-3 in the morning. Fabulous...

Happy Hump Day! The weekend is almost in sight...

No comments:

Post a Comment