"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." -- A. Schwindt

"We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open."
Harry Edwards

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
Elizabeth Stone

"The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him."
Pablo Casals

"God created boys full of spirit and fun. To explore and conquer, to romp and run."

Monday, July 26, 2010

The Day I've Been Waiting For...

... is finally here!!

I had my 12 week ultrasound followed up by a midwife appointment today. As I'd shared earlier, I kept having fears that something was wrong with Little Sprout and I was waiting to see if everything was okay. I was nervous about going to the appointments alone just in case I got bad news (Aaron doesn't have any time off because he just started his job) but luckily everything went well.

All of my fears and worry was for nothing. As soon as my ultrasound tech, Bailey, started the scan, I saw Little Sprout's heart beating fast and furious as ever...and as an even more precious gift, I got to hear it today! It was a strong 163 BPM! Yay!

Also, LS is a mover and a shaker!! Holy cow! I've never seen a baby move so much this early!! We got to see LS kick me as his/her legs (and arms!) were flailing all over the place... and he/she was using my uterus as a trampoline! We saw Little Sprout literally bouncing up and down. It was such a treat! The placenta is posterior this time (with both of the boys it was anterior--in the front of the uterus rather than the back) so she said it's no surprise with the activity she saw today that I'm already feeling movement. I'm actually feeling little pops as we speak! We got some great pictures of LS stretching out his/her legs which look super long. I'm so surprised that we got such great pictures... we were clearly able to see LS's legs, knees, and feet! Wow!

So far all of the measurements look really good and I'm pretty positive that my risk for genetic disorders is low. They also did a blood panel to send off and they said they'd call me within a week and a half with the results. All in all, LS looks totally healthy...and I'm super grateful. Phew!

My midwife appointment was really nice too. The person who was supposed to be there before me didn't show, so I was able to sit down and chat with my midwife and her student assistant for over an hour. I got all my questions answered and I just felt great. I'm so confident that I made the right choice. She also tried to get LS's heartbeat on her doppler, but there was a lot of static and she couldn't find it, but since I heard it at the ultrasound, I was fine with that.

...ooh, just felt another kick! Wow, this baby is CRAZY active! How can I feel kicks and pops so strongly at just 12 weeks?? Amazing... :)

Anywho, here are the pictures they printed out for me today. I'm amazed at how much Little Sprout has grown! The first picture is hilarious... when Bailey first started the scan and we saw the profile, I was a little concerned that my baby had a gigantic nose, but Bailey laughed and said that actually it's the baby's hand up by his/her face. I guess LS likes to snuggle with his/her hand because he/she stayed that way with that hand up in its face almost the entire time. You can tell the difference once LS moved his/her hand for the other pictures (in which you can also clearly see LS's bent legs to the left of the picture...complete with knees and feet!)

My next midwife appointment is scheduled for August 23rd and we get to have our anatomy scan on September 22nd, but we won't find out Little Sprout's sex until September 25th for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment