"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." -- A. Schwindt

"We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open."
Harry Edwards

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
Elizabeth Stone

"The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn't been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him."
Pablo Casals

"God created boys full of spirit and fun. To explore and conquer, to romp and run."

Friday, April 23, 2010

Some people just don't think!

It's been a blur of a week. I've been so busy with work and stuff around the house that the days just started to meld together. I remember thinking that yesterday was Thursday, but for some reason it felt like Monday. I've been waiting forever for Friday to come. I think because of the craziness of this week (it had some great points too, like a lovely offsite for work that I was stressed out to plan, but turned out really nice...and the fact that Wednesday was "Admin Day" and I was surprised with cards, flowers, and a Borders gift card from the managers and associates) my emotions and stress just amplified and took over.

Where am I going with this? Well, it all went down yesterday really. It was the NFL Draft and that's, like, a monumental event for my husband. As in, don't even bother talking to him because he won't hear you. Trust me, I tried. I even was talking to him about football and he didn't listen. That is, of course, until I told him I was pregnant again (I'm not) and then I'd never seen his head turn so fast. Hmmm.... I'll have to remember that one for the future when I'm trying to get his attention again. Anyway, so the kids and I had been sent over to my mother-in-law's house so we wouldn't interrupt his "man time". I'd had a busy day at work and was tired from Jaxson not sleeping at night and since my husband is too much of a grouch to help with night duty (even though he's unemployed and doesn't have to be up at the butt-crack of dawn like I do), I was just tired and stressed. As soon as I showed up to get the kids they went from being "Grandma's Little Angels" to, well...not so angelic. Even more stress.

So I get home at 9:00 last night and we get Jayden to bed and attempt to get Jaxson to bed. The hubs was cranky with me because I was stressed and just wanted to relax. I, apparently, am not allowed to have "bad days" otherwise I get chewed out. Funny how he can whine and moan all he wants though. Men. So, in all his grumpiness he told me to just not talk to him the rest of the night. Okay...fine. Then I decided I wanted a spoonful of raw cookie dough (yes, I know I'm weird, but it's totally a family thing) only to find that the 3 POUND, $15 tub of cookie dough that was special ordered from my niece's fundraiser that I JUST brought home on TUESDAY was almost gone. Gone. I made ONE dozen cookies (half of which my hubby ate overnight when I was sleeping) out of a tub designed to make 4 dozen and that's it. Yeah, you guessed it...

My husband ate almost 2 pounds worth of raw cookie dough (with some help from my brother in law) in one day. I was livid. First off, I just bought it (and that's some pretty darn expensive cookie dough). Second, it's only been in our house for 2 days! Third, it's a special flavor so it's not like I can go to the store to buy more of it. Lastly, and most importantly, the whole reason I got it in the first place was because it was supposed to be for the kids and I was really looking forward to having some special time with the boys making cookies. Now? Not so much. I'll be lucky if I get a half dozen cookies out of the scraps that were left for me. Seriously, who does that??

One thing about my husband: he eats just because. He gets bored and he eats. Also, by my terms and maybe those of others, he's just kinda lazy. He'd get mad at me for saying that, but it's the truth no matter how much he doesn't want to admit it. He will eat anything that is pre-made because it's convenient.... and he hates to be inconvenienced. He also complains that we have no food in the house. Ha! We may not have our cupboards chock full of gourmet food, but we do have boxes upon boxes of Hamburger Helper, Rice a Roni, & Mac and Cheese. We have soup & makings for grilled cheese or lunchmeat sandwiches. We have microwave dinners, chicken breasts, mashed potatoes, hot dogs, and hamburgers. Problem with all of those is (gasp!)... that he has to actually make it or put it in the microwave!!! Oh, and then he complains that he eats like crap. Well, yup, 2 pounds of cookie dough, a whole pizza, and a liter of Diet Pepsi in one day will do it to ya! Duh!

He apologized and said that he didn't realize that it was important to me or that I would get that upset. He also didn't bother to ask, though. I love my husband, and, while part of me is rolling my eyes and laughing with irritated amusement and disappointment, I'm over the whole thing for the most part, but gosh... some people just don't think!!

Then, this morning I got Jayden up to get him dressed and I noticed that Jaxson's ceramic hand/footprint plaque that we made when he was a newborn was broken in half. We made one for each boy (and intend to make one for each of our last 2 kids) as keepsakes. When I bought the one for Jaxson, it was poorly made to begin with (like it was a bad batch from the manufacturer or something) and it was already chipping in places so I was looking for an excuse to try to redo it anyway. In comparison to Jayden's it looked like crap and I was disappointed with it. Confused as to how and why it broke, I pulled it off the wall and set it on the kitchen counter so I could try to repair it enough to use the existing prints on the new mold. Luckily it didn't break over the hand/footprint so I should be able to cast it again with the new clay and keep the same prints (seeing as Jaxson's not a newborn anymore, this was important), and therefore I'm not as mad as I could be. I can make it work.

Fast forward to about an hour ago when I receive a call from my husband. He asks me what happened to Jaxson's plaque and I said that I didn't know; just that I went to get Jayden dressed and I saw one half hanging on the wall and the other half had chipped and fallen on the dresser. I figured that maybe Jayden was playing with his basketball hoop and accidentally hit it with the basketball, as that was always our fear, but even that didn't add up as it had to have happened yesterday as it was intact when I left for work yesterday morning and Jayden was gone all day at Nana's house. When he got home, he went straight to bed and was out like a light so he didn't even play basketball yesterday. Then my husband chimes in: "Oh, okay I know what happened..."

As you know, my husband and brother in law were over at the house alone yesterday to watch the NFL Draft. Well, according to my husband, he was out in the kitchen and my brother in law went into Jayden's room and was playing basketball with his hoop. My husband heard a loud clank (like something breaking) and soon after, my brother in law emerged from Jayden's room like nothing happened. Aaron told him that he heard a sound like something breaking and asked his brother what happened to which his brother said nothing or just brushed it off like nothing. I guess at some point Aaron asked if he wanted to go and play basketball again and his brother must have said no or that he didn't feel like playing anymore. So I guess all the pieces fell into place for my husband and he finally understood what happened: his brother wasn't being careful with the basketball, broke Jaxson's plaque, and just ignored it. Just left it there and didn't even say anything to us. It would have been smart for Aaron to go into Jayden's room to look, but I assume he was too caught up in the Draft and just took his brother's word for it.

In all honesty, I'm really not all that mad that it broke as it seems to be repairable to a degree, but had it not been? Well, I would have been pretty angry. The thing that does irk me, though, is that my brother in law didn't even tell us and pretended like nothing happened. I mean, did he not think that we wouldn't notice the half-hanging broken plaque on our wall? Did he want to pretend like he had nothing to do with it in hopes that we would just assume that Jayden broke it? Seeing as we wouldn't have seen Jayden actually break it he wouldn't have been scolded anyway, but did the thought ever cross his mind that a 2 year old might have taken the fall and possibly been punished for something that he didn't do?

I can't completely fault my brother in law because, in my mind, I'm assuming the reason he didn't say anything is because he probably feels guilty and upset that he broke it knowing full well it was an important keepsake... and if that isn't the case, well then that's different. I'd also like to think that there was a possibility that he didn't realize it had broken, but given the state it was in and the sound it supposedly made when it broke, I find that unlikely as well. I know if I had heard the sound of something breaking, the first thing I would have done is checked out what happened. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I can guarantee had the shoe been on the other foot, he and his wife would have been equally as mad or frustrated and would have expected the same honesty from us. I believe that honesty is the best policy and I guess I would have wished that he'd just said "Yes I did it, it was an accident, and I'm sorry." Even better, he should have just told Aaron up front when he asked him what happened. Yeah, we probably would have been irritated or upset, but not nearly as much had he actually said something instead of ignoring it completely.

Again, it looks fixable so I'm really not that heartbroken, but it does bother me that he didn't have the common courtesy to admit to it for whatever the reason. I truly love my brother in law, but gosh... some people just don't think!!

Anyway, have a happy Friday! It's beautiful outside, it's payday for me, and I'm excited to go buy some picture frames (and a new plaque for Jaxson) so I can finally hang pictures on our walls. Yes, I'm a bad mom and, even though we have taken pictures of Jaxson on a regular basis, he's a year old and I still haven't hung them up yet. Ha, what am I thinking!!??

No comments:

Post a Comment